Thursday 15 December 2011

It's back. But this time it's all cider'd up!

Hello there! Welcome back. I told you I'd do it and here it is, the Boogaloo is back but on other topics!

For those of you who follow me on Facebook and Twitter (which I'm pretty sure will be all of you) you'll know that every Sunday evening for the last 9 months I've been doing "Sunday Cider" where I've been trying a different cider every week. Not because I know anything about cider, in fact for the exact opposite reason - I knew nothing about the stuff and wanted to find out about it. Unfortunately after 9 months you start to forget what you've already drank and what you haven't so I decided to take a few people's advice and collect all of them in one place here on the old blog. In hind sight I wish I had given them scores or star ratings or something, just to make it a bit more interesting but hay-ho, too late now. There's also a few where I didn't seem to record an opinion on them. Sorry. I suppose I can do them again and be a bit more verbose ;o)


Anyway, here's the list. By the way remind me to NEVER try and do a table on Blogger again. Holy crap it took for ever!

* * * * * * * *
Date Cider Where From Donated By Opinion Best Comment
28/3/11 Thatcher's Gold N/A N/A Nicely balanced
but flavour slightly medicinal 
N/A
3/4/11 Aspall's Classic
Suffolk Cyder
Suffolk N/A Nice and sharp. Not as sticky as Thatcher's Gold It gives you a warm fuzzy feeling inside. Cider that saves the world!
(Referring to it being organic)
11/4/11 Henry Westons Oak Aged Herefordshire Cider Herefordshire N/A Too acidic. A bit too close to being vinegar. Which is never a good thing.
24/4/11 Kopparberg Pear Cider Sweden? N/A Vile That is truly vile. It's making my tongue go numb.
8/5/11 Savana Dry South Africa N/A Nice. Not as dry as expected. With hindsight this was one of my favourites. N/A
15/5/11 Longueville Cidre de Recoltant France N/A Not bad. Too fizzy. French. It does taste kinda, well, French. Not sure how but it does.
5/6/11 Sheppy's Vintage Reserve N/A N/A Very bitter and too gassy. I've got to stop going for the posh labels.
12/6/11 Stella Cidre Belgium N/A Very average. Not much taste. I'd like to point out that it's selling point is that it's made from hand picked apples. Just a little bit rubbish there Mr.Artois
(Missed my chance to call him Ian Artois there - dammit)
26/6/11 Thatcher's Katy N/A N/A Well balanced. Pleasant after taste. I obviously liked this one Not too sweet, not too dry. It's like the mother bear of ciders.
3/7/11 Knight's Premium Reserve N/A My old Payroll 1 buddies. Sweet, crisp and green apple-y. Very nice. N/A
10/7/11 Gaymer's Somerset Somerset My old Payroll 1 buddies. My only comment was "Spritely" I guess that means it was nice! N/A
17/7/11 Westons Stowford Press Export Stowford? My old Payroll 1 buddies. "OK but a bit bitter" was my only comment on this one. N/A
24/7/11 Henry Weston's Medium Dry N/A My old Payroll 1 buddies. No idea. I said I was liking it... N/A
7/8/11 Aspall's Draught N/A My old Payroll 1 buddies. Crisp. N/A
14/8/11 Thatcher's Green Goblin N/A N/A Bitter after taste. N/A
21/8/11 Co-Op's Tillington Hills Tillington N/A Very authentic.  That's some proper cider that is. That's like something you'd pick up in Devon. Like.
4/9/11 Scrumpy Dog N/A N/A Not nice. Smells of pear but tastes of...vinegar.
18/9/11 Henney's England's Pride N/A N/A A little bitter but not unpleasant. N/A
25/9/11 Tesco's Oak Matured Still CIder N/A N/A Tasted nice but the lack of fizz was off-putting. And yeas, I know I should have been expecting that as it's called still cider...
(Referring to the lack of bubbles)
2/10/11 Cowmire Hall Ancient Orchard Cider Cumbria? Katy and Paul Warburton Sweet and woody. N/A
9/10/11 Sheppy's Dabinett Apple N/A N/AVery, very bitter. Urgh! That's not just the bitterest cider ever- its the bitterest thing ever.
Agh! And now it tastes like I've already vomited it back up.
23/10/11 Malvern Press 81 N/A N/A Rather average. A bit bitter and quite gassy. At least I can finish this one though.
30/10/11 Henry Weston's Vintage Perry N/A N/A Rich and balanced Hoo-hoo that's delicious.
13/11/11 Samuel Smith's Organic Cider Tadcaster N/A Very light and disappointingly tasteless The label is good though. It looks like something you would buy in Hobbiton.
20/11/11 Perry's Somerset Dabinett Cider.  Somerset N/A Rich,sweet but a bit bitter at the same time Lovely coppery colour and smells like...those pint glass jelly sweets you used to get in 10p mix-ups.
27/11/11 Westons Old Rosie Coudy Cider N/A N/A Perfectly balanced. Lots of green apple flavour. N/A
4/12/11 Gaymer's Devon Medium Cider Devon N/A Fruity with a nice bite to it. N/A
11/12/11 Addlesones Cloudy Premium Cider N/A N/A Quite nice. Slight metallic tang to it. N/A
18/12/11 Gaymer's Newtons Vale N/A N/A. Very rich with a spiciness to it. N/A
26/12/11 M&S Somerset Vintage Somerset N/A Drinkable, average, floweriness to it. N/A
1/1/12 Bulmers No.17 N/A N/A SWEET! Jesus, its making my eyes hurt its so sweet
8/1/12 Hereford's Pilgrim N/A N/A Sweet, with a rich fruity flavour Its very light with almost a greenish tinge to it. Yeah, it looks like what you're thinking...
15/1/12 Symond's Founders Reserve N/A N/A Nice colour but disappointing taste Smells of..cider..tastes..like nothing
22/1/12 Kingston Press N/A N/A Not bad in a mass produced, generic kind of way. N/A
29/1/12 Brother's Bitter Sweet Apple Cider N/A N/A Interesting but after-taste is a bit medicinal. N/A
19/2/12 Bulmers Crisp Blend N/A N/A Light in colour, doesn't smell of much but not bad. That's what normal Bulmers used to be like before it got all sweet and sticky

So there you go. I guess I'll keep coming back to this and periodically add to it. One thing I always wanted was for people to join in with the apple based shenanigans. Go on, you know you want to. Just buy your self      
a bottle of cider, open it on Sunday night and either post your opinion on here, on my Facebook page or tweet about it and use the #sundaycider hashtag. It'll be fun. Or something closely approximating it anyway.

Just noticed, I should probably change the sub-title of the blog shouldn't I? Never mind. Next time...

Edit
I should thank Snap Bird for making it easy to search my old tweets so I could find what I had drank and what I'd said about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment