Saturday 18 April 2015

Word Rant

In which I rant about a word in a ranty way using words.

You know which word I hate? Which word I really hate seeing or hearing that seems to be everywhere, particularly on the internet? The word "retard". I really, really hate hearing or seeing people use that word as an insult. I know it's because I've been spending too much time looking at the bottom of the Internet and I've mentioned that I know that comments sections on the Internet are where reasonable discussion goes to die so I shouldn't take it too seriously but it makes me unreasonably angry when I see this. What is even worse is when people make contractions with it like the ubiquitous "f*cktard" or (this one is very American) "libtard". Spend 5 minutes on Xbox Live and you'll hear someone being called it. If you're as bad at Call of Duty as I am you'll be getting called it in your first game. Look at any even slightly controversial YouTube comment section and somebody will be using it to describe someone with ever so slightly different views to them. Usually just before someone drops the Hitler bomb.
What I'm surprised at is that nobody , none of the charities or organisations that deal with people with learning difficulties have picked up on it and tried to say anything about it. Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm in a minority of one here and I'm being too sensorious but it's used in such a casual fashion, particularly by American kids, that I'm convinced they don't know what it means.
Anyway, that's my little rant for now. I think I might have to do another, lighter post soon. Maybe about beer.
Oh and by the way, for those interested, Revuseless - my friend and my comedy blog - will be coming back to life in the near future. Take a look and catch up with the running gags before we take them to the next level. I say next level, I mean just keep thrashing them until other people think they're funny too. We're also taking suggestions on things to review so get suggestive...or something along those lines.

1 comment: